Best Laser Level Reviews – Experts Prefer These for 2017 (Nov. Update)
If you are a DIY person, then you probably are familiar with the many benefits that come out of using a laser level. For starters, these versatile tools are easy to use and most importantly, they help improve your accuracy. So, if you intend to remove the guesswork out of your hands-on tasks, it is high time you acquire one the best laser level tools on offer. Once you get yourself a unit, you will only need to follow a handful of simple rules. However, with plenty of options available out there in the world, you really need to look around in order to find the best one. What you basically want to find is a unit that can be used both in the outdoor and indoor work-space.
We are talking about various tasks ranging from the likes of landscaping a building to leveling the ground or even minor tasks such as hanging your family photos on the wall. All these tasks would be impossible to do without having a tool that helps you take a few measurements and determine the right kind of level. Simply put, the best Line laser level is one that helps you minimize errors and deliver professional-grade work on every task you undertake. Here are some options available for you.
Top 10 Best Laser Level Reviews 2017 & Comparison Chart
± 1/8" at 30 Ft
± 1/8" at 30 Ft
± 1/8 Inch at 30 Ft
± 1/8 Inch at 30 Ft
±1/8" at 30 ft
±1/8'' at 30 ft
± 1/4" at 100 ft
± 1/8" at 30 Ft
Cell 9 / 7
1. Dewalt 3-Beam Self-Levelling Line Laser DW089k
DEWALT is a company with a track-record of producing quality handy devices. It is therefore not a surprise to see that they are behind one of the best line lasers on the market - DEWALT DW089K. Reputed for its ability to take the stress out of layout jobs, this unit is designed to help you scale the heights of professionals. You can employ it to handle tasks such as laying tiles, mapping, designing doors, installing window-panes or adjusting cabinets in your kitchen. In other words, there is no limit as to the number of tasks you can handle with this savvy tool.
Features of Dewalt DW089K:
- Specially designed to provide professional-grade results
- Has a third beam that creates a right-angle to the surface you might want to operate on
- Designed to make it extremely easy to handle map layouts
- Comes with a magnetic center point for easier and stress-free mounting especially on metallic surfaces
- Relies on a single-button operating system which means it is quite easy to use it
- Backed up by a water-resistance system meaning you can operate it for any weather
- Triple Beam Laser
- Customers are generally satisfied with its level of brightness
- The magnets are quite strong
- Slightly heavy in weight
- Some customers have raised issues that the laser stopped working for no apparent reason
2. Dewalt Cross Line Laser Self-Leveling DW088K
If you are shopping for a light and easy-to-use laser level, then your search ends here. The Dewalt DE088K is a self-leveling laser level which allows you handle your tasks with much more efficiency. This device shoots both vertical as well as horizontal lines across different layouts and levels. Through this tool, you can expand your range of operation allowing you to operate for up to 165 feet.
The DW088K comprises two buttons transcending both the horizontal alongside vertical laser beams. One thing worth noting about the laser beam in particular is that it is bright and highly accurate which means you can handle your job right away.
Features of Dewalt DE0088K:
- Easy-to-use and ideal for beginners
- Built with an automatic-level indicator
- Has a powerful battery which can serve you for 20 non-stop hours
- Allows you to self-level for a max of 4 degrees from the surface angle
- Offers advanced calibration preservation
- Protected from water damage meaning you can utilize it even on wet surfaces with no worries
- This laser level has a sturdy placement capacity
- Offers long projection distance
- Can produce both vertical and also horizontal lines
- The laser light is sometimes not as bright as you would expect especially when working outdoors.
3. Bosch GCL25 5-Point Level Laser with Cross-Line
Bosch GCL25 is a laser light ideal for outdoor use or for operating in large rooms. The simple tool comes with a plumb line featuring both top and bottom surfaces of the device. This machine is highly accurate plus it enables you to choose between horizontal and vertical options (or a combination of both).
The laser level boasts a 2-in-1 utility for all users. One thing we love about the handy tool is that it does not require you to acquire another tool for making squares, its advanced functionality makes it possible to do all this work yourself. Moreover, the tool is pretty handy which means you can enjoy using irrespective of your level of experience.
Features of Bosch GCL25:
- Operates on five points
- Equipped with a cross for two-in-one laser
- The laser light is highly visible and easy to follow
- This laser level can be used to handle jobs such as layout, squaring, horizontal leveling, vertical leveling, and plumb point transfers
- Notifies you when the level goes out of line
- Has a manual mode which locks lines allowing you to use it at different angles
- Offers four selectable modes
- Majority of customers appreciate the level’s lock system
- In this laser level you can tilt the unit to any angle you would like
- The unit automatically blinks it placed at 4 degrees angle
- Although it is handy, some people find it to be too little and difficult to handle
- It's laser light is not easy to see when one is operating outdoors.
4. Bosch 3-Point Self-Leveling GPL3-RT Alignment Laser
Bosch GPL3-RT laser is a tool known for an exceptional level of accuracy. The laser is recommended for layout tasks, plumbing, alignment among other tasks. Although the level may seem simplistic, it is actually capable of handling a wide range of scenarios. Moreover, you can use this tool to operate in different positions thanks to the fact that it provides you with a right-angle beam to either the right or left side.
Accompanying this tool is a multi-functional attachment which allows you to position it using either straps, magnets or even threaded mounts. You can opt for this tool if you are planning to level the floor as well.
Features of Bosch GPL3-RT:
- Laser level comes with a top-notch beam splitter
- Includes a smart-pendulum leveling layout which allows you to detect if the surface you are working on is appropriate
- The system automatically locks itself up when switched off
- Designed to emit three beams
- It’s a small tool which you can carry in your pocket
- Can be mounted either with a strap, magnetic or threaded mount
- Has a bright laser light suitable even for outdoor operations
- A perfect bet for small tasks around your home
- The battery of this line laser level is relatively weak
5. PLS Laser PLS-60521 PLS180 Laser Level Tool
This model is more than just a laser level. It’s a piece of beauty. From the look of things, this unit has been designed to handle jobs such as electrical works, plumbing, industrial construction among others. If you handle this kind of jobs, then finding yourself the perfect laser level can give you an edge of professionalism.
Whether you are a commercial contractor or personal user, the PLS180’s user-friendliness makes sure you enjoy handling it every step of the way. In addition, it saves a lot of your time by giving you accurate results on every undertaking. Best of all, this level can shoot both horizontally and vertically.
Features of PLS Laser PLS-60521 PLS180 Laser Level:
- PLS180 is very lightweight and easy to carry
- The company will give you three years warranty for this line laser.
- Works effectively on 3 AA batteries without any interruption
- It levels up to 6 degrees on its own
- Easy to handle
- No charge is needed
- Produces a strong beam which is visible even in an outdoor environment
- Lase Level has no lock-off, so it keeps rattling when being carried around
6. Pacific Laser Systems PLS4 Tool Point and Line Laser
The PLS4 is a compounded device that combines the beauty of the latest laser level technology. Built with an effective point to point plum layout, this tool can cover a whopping 100 feet range. Besides that, it combines both up and down points meaning it is an ideal model for different kinds of leveling, modeling, and general alignment. Indeed, the PLS4 presents a full bag of features.
Surprisingly, the tool is well-priced than most other rotary laser levels available on the market. Above all, this tool is lighter and less bulky which means you can take it with you wherever you go. Its versatility means you can use it in installing windows, doors and even drop ceilings.
Features of Pacific Laser Systems PLS4 Tool Point and Line Laser:
- PLS4 offers a combination of up and down points complete with a square, level, and plumb line alignment
- Equipped with dual beam technology which provides highly accurate results
- Can be used on major and minor projects alike
- Boasts self-leveling capabilities
- Works pretty fast and produces highly accurate results
- Has a strong battery that lasts for considerable periods of time
- Its visibility can be enhanced with a further 200 feet when you use an SLD detector
- This tool has only two beams
7. Bosch GLL3-80 3 Plane Leveling-Alignment Laser
Bosch GLL3-80 3 Plane Laser Level is not your ordinary tool. If anything, it provides you with an edge which enables you to go fully professional in your work. Within it are two 90 degree cross points which cover both the top and bottom side. That alone makes it a highly flexible unit as you can use it for any layout. Safe to say, the Bosch GLL3-80 qualifies to be the best laser level out there. So, whether you are a DIY enthusiast or simply a tradesman who wants to wow people with your talent, this device provides you with a platform for growth. Moreover, the unit is both water- and dust-proof. Its keypads have an excellent readability score which also means they are painlessly easy to use.
Features of Bosch GLL3-80 3 Plane Leveling-Alignment Laser:
- Provides 360-degree (all-round) coverage
- Comes with a powerful, non-rotational battery which is quite efficient at storing power
- Can be attached on surfaces all thanks to its magnetic strip
- Laser level has a freestanding base
- No need to move any of its parts to partition layouts
- Offers a well thought-out combination of features
- Intuitive user interface for enhanced user-friendliness
- Bulky to use which makes it less desirable to transport
8. Dewalt DW089LG Green Laser Level
If you want to take construction business to the next level, then you have to consider buying Dewalt DW089LG green laser level. It allows you to shoot over a 360-degree laser beam range which gives you the power to do pretty much any kind of work at ease. Besides that, it offers 100 feet of indoor visibility range.
The DW089LG is perhaps the best laser level because of its full-time pulse mode. This makes it a go-to device for all your interior design, carpentry, and electrical works. In fact, anyone can benefit from this tool provided they are willing to explore the magic of the DIY world.
Features of Dewalt DW089LG green laser level:
- Has a high rate of accuracy (within 1/8 of an inch)
- Provides 100 feet range (indoors)
- Emits green laser light which is highly visible
- This particular device is highly water-, shock- and dust-resistant
- The magnet allows mounting of any kind of metal surface
- Comes with a rechargeable battery
- This Laser level is portable. You can carry it anywhere you want
- This tool weighs not more than 10 pounds
- It shoots green laser which is more visible than red laser
- Although it is quite effective, this unit is also pricier than other models
9. Firecore Self-Leveling Horizontal/Vertical Cross-Line Laser Level with Magnetic Bracket
With a working range of 30 feet and an accuracy of 1/5 inch, this unit gives you just the kind of reliability to need to get started. One thing that stands out is that it is highly durable and easy to use on dynamic workspaces. If you are looking for a time-saving method when handling tasks such as hanging picture frames, renovating your home and laying tiles, then this is your best laser level option.
The self-leveling device offers incredible reliability between 4 degrees of level. The light will turn green it the line is out of level. You can flip between different modes by using the top push button. Hold the button for 3 seconds to shut down the laser. Best of all, this laser comes with a strong magnet meaning you can mount it easily on any metallic place.
Features of Firecore Self-Leveling Horizontal/Vertical Cross-Line Laser Level with Magnetic Bracket:
- Fully functional horizontal and vertical laser line
- Pendulums lock system which helps protect the device from premature damage
- Weighs a little under 1 pound which means it is highly portable
- Laser level comes with a magnetic bracket for easy mounting on metallic surfaces
- Comes with replaceable 2AA batteries
- This is cheap laser level on market.
- It responds quickly, whenever it is out of line.
- Laser level does not include any battery.
10. STANLEY STHT77340 Cubix Cross Line Laser
This laser level is mostly used by home decorators and artisans. It is small and very light in weight which also means it is very light to carry around with you. You can use it for everyday tasks such as measuring and planning for layouts. Best of all, the STANLEY STHT77340 allows you to work within the range of 40 feet. Compared to other products, this brand is a lot cheaper, and installing it is also quite a breeze. To top it all up, the tool is made with full plastic for added durability.
Features of STANLEY STHT77340 Cubix Cross-Line Laser:
- Self-leveling cross line functions
- Laser level can cover range up to 40 feet, which is not bad for its size and price
- It has locking pendulum features which help lock any way you want
- This product gives highly accurate results
- Easy to maintain and care for
- It is very easy to use
- Some consider this laser tool about being a perfect size
- There are a few complaints about its durability
- The manufacturer does not provide clear instructions on how to use it
Types of Laser Level
Ordinarily, you would expect the best laser level to offer the best features available on the market. However, that’s not always the case and that’s why it is important to look around. What you need to know, though, is that there are two different kinds of laser levels. These are (a)fixed line laser level (b)rotary laser level. A third, but not so popular model, is known as the dot laser level.
Fixed Line Laser Level
Fixed line laser levels shoot a laser in a manner that generates a straight line by shooting a laser beam. Thanks to that flexibility, you can shoot this kind of laser either horizontally or vertically.
The result can differ which depending on the range one wants to cover. Another useful feature of this type of laser level is that it is a self-sensing system. There are also a few laser levels that produce a flashlight instead of a laser light; alerting you when the tool goes out of level. Such flexibility makes this type of laser a perfect bet for indoor use. Perhaps the only issue with these laser levels is that they can’t tilt or even turn 360 degrees which then limits your work area.
Rotary Laser Level
Most of the users consider the rotary laser level as the best laser level for a number of reasons. First, this variety offer greater freedom which also means you can handle a wide variety of jobs with it. One of the most outstanding things about rotary laser levels is that they offer a great degree of accuracy and can therefore be relied upon when one is undertaking large commercial projects. So, whether you are looking to create lines on all four corners of the wall, or you simply want to operate on the floor, this unit offers you the green-light to explore your talent.
Another plus with using a rotary laser is that you can mount it on a tripod. Some brands actually come with a free tripod. Others come with a pair of goggles which are useful in helping you see the laser light in an outdoor setting.
How To Choose Best Laser Level
7 Things to Consider When Choosing the Right Laser Level
Whatever career you might be in, it is imperative to maintain the necessary levels of accuracy. Likewise, when it comes to hands-on tasks such as carpentry-work or interior design, it is imperative to aim for the highest possible level of quality. Ordinarily, people use bubble levels for this job.
However, it has been observed over time that these always leave room for error in addition to requiring a greater degree of effort to operate. By investing in a high-end laser level, you are assured of greater accuracy alongside improved range. The traditional bubble level can only provide a range of 12 feet, unlike laser levels which can stretch to hundreds of feet
Choosing the right laser level requires a number of factors to be considered.
This is precisely why there are different lasers available to handle different extents of work. Three primary considerations are important in choosing the right laser level for any project. They are the usability, accuracy, and projection. Brands that score highly on more than one feature stand best in the performance of different tasks as may be required. Among the key areas where the best levels may be used include installation of tiles, fixtures and fittings, furniture, hanging of mirrors and portraits among others.
Compared to the traditional methods, use of laser levels gives more accurate results. This is irrespective of the levels position since through use of an internal level pendulum; it can deliver accordingly. The main features to look out for in a level include.
Accuracy of Laser Level
Irrespective of the project at hand, accuracy is paramount. This will not only ensure you make the right fixture at the right place but as well ensure that at the end of the task you meet the expected results. The expected output for a quality laser is required to be +- 1.5X at a distance of 30M. A range of +-3X is considered to be workable but if it exceeds these limits; the project results may not be achieved.
A clear and concise beam is required to work efficiently. So such a good laser level requires achieving the best quality. The most common beam installed on laser levels is red. However, indications from varying quarters indicate that green is more visible when used as the beam light. The light within the working area may vary widely ranging from dimly lit rooms to highlighting when working outdoors. The laser used should in all instances ensure a visible light for the beams without causing unnecessary strain.
Battery life of Laser Level
Most of the laser levels available are battery powered. The strong beams produced by the laser consume high amounts of power hence lowering the battery life. Given that it is not always possible to have a charging power source nearby, it is extremely important to have a rechargeable battery to keep you going. An ideal laser level should have a long-lasting battery alongside being configured for low power consumption. This not only ensures that time is saved by giving the opportunity to complete a task within a shorter span of time.
Rotating Speed of Laser Level
For an excellent beam visibility, the rotating speed needs to be fast enough. This is especially so if the beam is viewed in an outdoor setting. Different laser models have varying rotation speeds and in such important to choose one with variable speed options. This provides with an opportunity to choose the best speed for the activity at hand. However, it is not always true that when the speed is high, the beam will automatically be visible. You, therefore, want to go for a unit that combines both speed and laser beam strength for faster and more efficient working.
Durability of Laser Level
Laser levels are created for use in different environments. For this reason, the chosen model should be strong enough to withstand all the conditions that the laser may be exposed to outdoor undertakings present the laser to more in eventualities.
The most crucial part of the laser that is more exposed is the rotary motor. While it is exposed to factors such as debris, dust and water, chances of damage and getting worn remain high. This alongside other parts of the laser should be secured to ensure it lasts to the end of the job.
Installation and Use of a Laser Level
Like all the technical tools used in construction, some lasers have complicated processes to install and use. When this is the case, a lot of time is wasted before one is acquainted with the device and that may translate to losses. The perfect selected laser level for any job should be easy to install and use. This may be enhanced by providing user manuals alongside intuitive controls. Digital display is also necessary for more convenience when applying the settings. In some cases, the dealer provides necessary guidance on how to get started with the laser machine.
The surfaces and location on which the laser is used vary widely. Your selected Line Laser level in this regard should come with many mounting threads. These not only make it easy to mount the laser but also simplify your handling experience irrespective of the environment you are operating within. The more versatile the mounting threads are, the better it is to operate on walls, posts, rails, and tripods among other surfaces.
Common Mistakes Committed by Laser Level Buyers
There are many laser level brands available on the internet. However, if you take a closer look, there is a chance you will discover a number of flaws that you need to avoid when making a purchasing. You don’t want to end up with a less-than-stellar product only because you could not take not of common mistakes. In general, we recommend adopting a proper guideline to help you arrive at an informed choice. That being said, it is worth remembering that in some cases, value comes in small packages. Likewise, not all laser levels can do all types of jobs. There are those which excel at small jobs while others provide a suitable launching pad for big tasks.
Also worth noting is that sometimes the price tag can be misleading. A high price tag does not always mean it is going to be necessarily the best laser level available. You might actually be surprised that in some cases, the cheaper varieties end up being market stunners. The best approach involves first understanding your specific needs. Once you understand why you need this particular device, then chances are that you will have an easier time compiling your bucket-list of expectations.
At the end of the day, one thing that really matters is the ability to get value for money on each and every purchase made. Here is a run-down of several mistakes you’re likely to make as a first-time buyer.
Not having Ideas About the Types:
Forget to Check Extra Kits:
You always have to check the kind of features the product offers. Some tasks require you to use specific skills and that is why you need to be on the look-out for extra additions. Some of these additions come in handy in helping you perform your tasks with a greater degree of confidence.
Buying without knowing the price:
It is always a good idea to look around in order to identify the best fitting price. Approaching any shopping undertaking with no prior knowledge on pricing can push you into settling for an overpriced, good-for-nothing item. Therefore, it is always important to look around. Remember, sometimes a high price tag does not always translate to better quality laser levels. It is, therefore, a good idea to look around in order to steer clear from exploitative price tags.
Overlooking the extra cost:
Even as you settle for the laser level, it is even more important to be mindful of any extra costs that may come along with it. Be on the lookout for shipping charges, confirmation charges or any other fees that may affect the final invoiced figure. Always double-check before you commit – and at the same time, be sure to take advantage of discounts and offers.
If you are not familiar with the different types of laser levels available, chances are that you are going to get lost in the long list of varieties available. As we have discussed earlier in this post, there are three different types of laser levels: rotary laser, fixed laser and dot laser. Identifying what these three do and how they differ can help you make an informed choice.
Choosing the wrong type of laser level for the wrong task is a common mistake that people make.
It is always important to take a look at what extra kit your supplier is going to supply you with. A good number of products reviewed above come with extra goodies which are particularly useful on all undertakings. For instance, some supplies come with goggles to help you track the laser light and achieve accurate results even in outdoor light.
Reading reviews is essential when you are buying any kind of product. You can't just buy any other laser level without knowing whether the product is good enough or not. Previous users will always tell you how the product went when they were using it. Be on the lookout for caveat emptor and red-flags from other consumers.
Being an adventurous and outgoing person, I try hard to expose myself to fresh ideas and information. Hotlaserlevel.com is my go-to website for the latest laser level tips and guides. The knowledge shared on hotlaserlevel.com has helped me decorate my lovely home and garden with extreme ease – something that has rekindled my passion for DIY projects.