DEWALT DW087K Horizontal and Vertical Self-Leveling Line Laser Review
Are you looking for a line laser that is capable of handling the everyday wear and tear that any rough construction project can throw at it? If your answer is yes, then look no further than the DEWALT DW087K Horizontal and Vertical Self-Leveling Line Laser. Like its name suggests, this is a self-leveling line laser that can be used for both horizontal and vertical applications. This tool is ideal for contractors and homeowners alike. Take a look at the following features to find out more about this unit:
- Weighs 3.5 pounds.
- Measures 9.3 x 9 x 5 inches.
- Self-leveling within 5 degrees.
- Accuracy up to 1/8-inch at a distance of 30 feet.
- Easy 1-button operation and control panel.
- Indoor visibility range of fifty feet.
- Over-molded housing to help maintain calibration under job site conditions.
- Built-in magnetic pivot bracket to mount on metal surfaces.
- 3AA batteries for 20-plus hours of runt ime.
- 3-year warranty.
- 90-day money back guarantee.
- 1 year free service contact.
- Also included in the box: 3 AA batteries and a convenient hard-case box for storage and transportation.
Products from Amazon.com‹ ›
Design & Durability
The DeWalt DW087K is made from durable material that can withstand abuse without compromising the veracity of the tool. The body is made from durable plastic and rugged rubber that gives it a sturdy look and feel. This unit also features an over-molded housing that protects it from the tough life of the typical jobsite. The sturdy hard-case box it comes with also helps in keeping the unit safe whenever it’s in transit.
Accurate measurements not only enable you to have quality work done, but it also boosts productivity and cuts down costly and time consuming mistakes. The DeWalt DW087K is accurate up to 1/8-inch at a total distance of 30 feet. Although the mounting surface may not be quite level (up to 50), this laser will still be accurate enough. Incase this laser isn’t in alignment over the 50 threshold, its LCD display will flash until you make the appropriate adjustments, enabling you to get the best preciseness possible.
The DeWalt DW087K is designed to project a line up to fifty feet away, which is better compared to various other line lasers on the market. This laser maintains a high level of accuracy at thirty feet, but tends to suffer the further away you move it from the wall.
It being a self-leveling line laser, it means that you don’t have to waste your energy and time adjusting the level to ensure that it’s perfectly in level. This unit uses an internal pendulum that determines true plumb and level lines, which is not only highly efficient, but accurate as well. The tool can be placed up to about 4 degrees out of level without affecting the preciseness of the laser lines.
This unit features a built-in magnetic pivot bracket that allows for easy mounting on metal surfaces. The magnets are powerful enough to prevent the laser from falling off. This laser also features a standard ¼-inch tripod threading on the base that allows you to set up the level virtually anywhere.
This laser level uses 3AA batteries that can last up to 20 hours, which is the longest time out that a level can run.
- It’s easy to use due to its easy 1-button operation and control panel.
- It’s made from sturdy and recycled materials that make it durable.
- It’s self leveling, which doesn’t require much effort to level it.
- It’s fairly accurate.
- It projects sharp, bright lines.
- It’s well designed.
- It includes multiple mounting options.
- It has a strong magnetic base.
- Strong vertical and horizontal laser projection on ceiling and walls.
- This unit doesn’t allow you to manually lock the pendulum in place to project an out-of-level line.
- The mounting clam is designed for thin metal and not for wood.
- Laser projection on floors isn’t as good.
Like other self-leveling line lasers on the market, the DeWalt DW087K has its strengths and a share of weaknesses as well. The fact that it does the job that it was intended for makes it an ideal choice for most homeowners and constructors. It’s convenient, easy to use, durable, fairly accurate and comes with plenty of mounting options. This goes to show that many would consider it to be a worthy buy.